Sunday, November 8, 2009

First race - first win!

So yesterday, the base was having their annual Fall Festival. I begged my son all week to try running as his sport. There was a kids run at the Fall Festival and I thought he would have fun doing it. All week he gave a different answer to if he wanted to run it. Yes, no, yes, no . .you get the idea. Friday night he decided that sure, he'd give it a shot. So Saturday morning we signed in for the race and he got his official race t-shirt. Then they called them all for stretching. "Stretching?? I don't want to do stretching!! I shouldn't have signed up for this . . .ugh" I got his butt out there to stretch and then we went out to line up for the race. They announces that parents could run with the kids if they wanted to and when they said that, he kind of gave me that "pleaseeeeeeeee mom" look. So there I am in my Uggs and Jeans but I couldn't say no . .heck at least I'd get a few good shots of him right? They then announced it was going to be a one mile run for him. He was very worried now, since he had never run a race in his life and certainly had never run a full mile. He lined up . . .11 kids in his 7 & 8 year old division. He kind of got that worried look on his face but kept in there like a champ. The whistle blew and off they went.




He started out in 9th place out of 11 but he never quit running.

The next thing we knew, by the 3/4 mile marker he had passed enough kids to pull out into third place. Can you see how happy he was???



Here he comes, running into the finish . . .and yes . . . .


he took third place out of 11 in his first ever race!





Now he is anxious to run more and is dying to place 2nd next time! Go Aaron!!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome. I was just thinking about signing up my oldest two kiddos for our annual fun run on base in August.

    ReplyDelete